Friday 7 December 2012

Sound Planning

Diegetic sound

Recently, I practiced using microphones to record dialogue - the difference between using a boom microphone and a camera microphone, or even a directional microphone when it comes to filming dialogue in a busy place became instantly noticeable. All of my key dialogue scenes occur in busy places, for example a bar and a city street, meaning I will definitely need to use the boom microphone to film. Obviously, it is more complicated and some dangers will arise, for example:

  • The boom microphone may show up in the frame when being held - this sometimes even happens in TV, and occasionally with films a boom microphone or operator is seen in the reflection of a window or mirror.
  • It will also mean that I will need a clapper board in order to sync the sound from the microphone track and the video recording from the camera.

Ambient sound

I also plan on using a separate microphone track from the camera, using a boom microphone, to record ambient sound. I will create separate ambient tracks to play during the bar scenes, outside the bar, the meeting on the bench, when Frank picks up the bag and when he is in the market. These will all be done on location, so I will be taking the microphone to the Zerodegrees bar, the road outside it and the Spitalfields area.


No comments:

Post a Comment